Saturday, March 17, 2007

大好きな居酒屋

Many of my recent photos lack humans - perhaps odd for an anthropologist. I wonder if I am too worried/concerned with the ethical issues of capturing people in the act. Privacy is a big concern in Japan these days. Can one still do visual anthropology without photographing people? Material culture is still culture... And people can still appear in photos without being identified (either through intentional framing or poor quality...). Question: Do these photos of my favorite watering hole DO anything for you? While I am partial to this particular shop, its master and workers, its customers and food, I believe the setting to be fairly typical. One can find such an izakaya in most (urban) places in Japan. Do you see what I see when you are at such a place? Do you want to see more customers (people)?


































1 comment:

charmed03 said...

perhaps you are up loading more but i see many foods and not many people so your question needs to be answered by the anthropologist i think. I believe one could do anthropology research without people by doing where the being come from more like a sociologist i guess. and the picture are good it is quite small for an izakaiya or at least the ones i have been to are big however i see the hanshin tigers guy there nice job! and i have a site but it doesn't have my project on there yet but it will soon if you wish to check out what my grandfather calls by pictures...http://japanexplored.blogspot.com